Grief is a mix of emotions such as sadness, anger, guilt, frustration, fear and anxiety that occurs whenever we experience a loss or are anticipating a loss. You could feel very conflicted at times where your feelings are very intense; which feels even more overwhelming.
If you have lost someone you care about it can be a very confusing time. The thing to remember is that there is no time limit, or right ways that you should feel or act. The way you feel is important and you should express your grief in the best way for you.
Reactions you may experience:
- Wanting to spend time alone
- Fear of what will happen to you or your family
- Pretending nothing has happened
- No one understands how you feel or what you are going through, which makes you feel lonely
- Wanting everything to be normal and wishing your life didn’t have to change
- Not wanting to think about it all the time and wish you could have some fun
- Wanting to make amends, say ‘goodbye’ or ‘I love you’ but unsure how